Overheated my new F300... a couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheated my new F300... a couple questions

Hi, This is my first post, so go easy on me. Saturday I took my new boat out on its first trip. I was following the break-in procedure, and I had just crossed the 1-hour mark. I was travelling down Twenty Seven Pass at the mouth of the Mississippi River when I hit a mud flat. Bad mistake, but it is tricky and always changing down there. So I had to get off of the mud flat. So, I began to try to motor off of the mud flat. After about 40 seconds or so, the high temp alarm sounded. I immediately shut it off. I then tried to push the boat off the flat, but it would not budge. Also, my boat was not facing the channel. So after a few minutes, I had to fire the motor up again. It idled with no alarms, so I motored the boat turning right to face the boat into the channel so that I could get in the water and push it off. I was indeed giving it a good bit of throttle. The alarm sounded again, as the temp guage was showing maximum. I turned it off for good. All of my passengers and myself then got out of the boat and pushed the boat into the channel. It was not easy, but after a lot of grunting, we got the boat back into the channel and we boarded the boat.

So about 15 minutes after the last high temp alarm, and now back in the channel, I tried to start it. It would not start. I cleaned the water intakes as best I could and tried again. Still, it wouldn't start. It would turn over, puff very small amounts of white smoke or vapor, but it acted as if it was getting no fire. It was also making a very brief (1 second or so) buzzing whine when I turned the key off each time. Keep in mind, this is the first time I had ever turned my motor off, so this could be normal. I am hoping to hear from a current owner or mechanic to confirm. Anyway, at that point I dropped the power pole and waited. I thought I had burned up my brand new motor. I was sick, and began to arrange for a tow. I called a friend for help. He told me to wait a while longer and try again... that my motor may have entered a protection mode and would't allow me to start it. So I waited.

After an hour or so, after trying every 10 minutes or so to start it, it finally started! I was relieved! It ran fine all the way back to the launch. No problems at all. However, I now have visions in my head of scored cylinder walls, burned bearings, etc. since it only had 1 hour on it.

I am hoping that yall can put my mind at ease, or let me know what I should be concerned about. I am bringing it to my mechanic this week, but I just want to know what some of you think. I looked at my insurance policy and they do cover this type of thing. I just don't want to have a motor whose life is severely shortened due to this happening when brand new. What tests should I have performed? What should I request that my mechanic do in this situation? Thanks for your time, and sorry for the long post!

you most likly smoked it.
    NEVER NEVER EVER try to power off a mud flat or a sandbar.
    IT most times smokes a powerhead,oil pan and exaust stack.
    take it to a dealer, tell them what you did.
    have them run a leak down,NOTa compression test.
    have them pull the lower and use a bore scope to inspect the exhaust stack.
    buy tow boat US or seatow insurance.
    its much cheaper.
    there is NO protection mode that dissallows starting.
    the pistons swelled up so tight to the bores it was locked up.
    the buzzing is normal, the ECU is shutting down various components and restting the throttle plate in anticipation of the next start.
    it will also buzz the same at key on engine off.

Comment

Working...
    X