Prop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop question

I bought a used boat at the end of last seaon. Its a 1999 Grady White 209 escape with a fuel injected Saltwater Series II 150. The prop was real worn, like to the point you could shave with the blades. I ran the boat with the old prop a few times. Cruise RPM was 4300, it would run about 26-27 mph (GPS) depending on conditions. Wide open it would go about 5400 rpm and in the 33-34 mph depending on conditions. In the off season I replaced the prop with a brand new replacement from Yamaha, same size, pitch, material etc. Put the boat in the water yesterday and took it for a cruise. The boat seemed to cruise at 3900 RPM at like 28 mph and WOT I couldn't get any more than 4400 RPM and 30 mph. I didn't keep it WOT too long because the conditions were getting snotty and winds were picking up a bit. I also noticed a slight vibration around 5-7 mph and 1500-2000RPM in gear. Seemed to go away on acceleration and at cruise speed.

Is this normal for a new prop? Engine seemed to run fine, so miss, or hesitation at speed. I'm kinda new to boating so any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Mike

no
    either the old prop was way wore out or your fuel system plugged over the off season.
    best way to find out is a quick run using YB-1626.
    if it cannot spin test wheel YB-1626 to 4600-4800 its broke.
    if it can you have prop or hull issues.
    yes its that quick and easy.

Comment

Thankyou sir for the reply. I'll try to get my hands on a test prop and go from there. If I can't are these test props available for purchase? I also ordered a shop manual for this engine.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X