Burnt Prop Hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt Prop Hubs

F250 with 100 hours. Over four offshore trips, burnt three prop hubs. Prop shop cant find reason. Anyone have problems with frequent prop hubs failing. Engine trim tab in place, and it is the correct one with the water scoop on it. Have a brand new hub in the prop now but a little concerned about going 100 miles offshore and having to change to the spare prop again while offshore. It's not that easy when you are in a 3-4 foot chop! Any thoughts??

are you using the factory press fit hubs or an aftermarket style?
    you may need to pull the lower and check the brass hub cooling tube.

Comment

I don't know if it would be considered an "after market" hub. The Prop Shop that I use in LA has been in business for a couple decades and they do good work. I have had them use the strongest hubs possible (other than a solid metal hub) and still don't have the confidence that I won't be left offshore. I did check the brass cooling tube and water flows through it perfectly. I hate to spend $650 for a new prop not knowing if it is a prop, hub, or engine problem. No one at Yamaha, local service guys, or prop shop owner has a remedy????????????

Comment

and we still dont know if these are genuine yamaha props and what style or aftermarket with a powertech or solas style hub.
        the engines may be mounted to high or you have an engine problem such as a burned out muffler or a cracked water plate just below the oil pan.
        could also be a stuck t-stat,a false CTS signal or anything else that would cause it to run rich.
        burned hubs may or may not be a prop issue.

Comment

Prop Hub

The prop that I have on this engine is a Stiletto 30319 (14.25 x 19) in perfect condition. I will check all of the items that you mentioned. I will check with the prop shop and see what brand of hub they have pressed in. Thank you for taking the time to discuss this with us.

Comment

Working...
          X