Prop stuck in neutal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop stuck in neutal

Hi all, please could anybody advise what i can do when my prop is trying to turn the motor when it is in neutral. It is a 50 hp two stroke 1999. The starter motor will not start the motor i presume the reason being it is in gear? The other motor spins freely in neutral.

thanks

did your shift cable break or shift shaft come loose?
    Is the starter relay not energizing?

You need to give more info on what is going on along with the motor model #

Comment

I don't understand the question???... Run that buy us one more time?

Comment

The gear shift is in neutral, the prop should spin freely if you turn it with your hand but it does not. If i try and turn it it turns the motor. If i try and start the engine it is as if the battery is not charged. It turns the motor slowly i presume it is because it is not in neutral. When I move the gear shift there is a rod that goes down through the engine into the lower unit, that rod turns if i shift the gear shift. but it does not disengage gear. It is a 1999 50hp autolube. I hope this helps!!

Comment

Originally posted by mjsnyman25 View Post
          The gear shift is in neutral, the prop should spin freely if you turn it with your hand but it does not. If i try and turn it it turns the motor. If i try and start the engine it is as if the battery is not charged. It turns the motor slowly i presume it is because it is not in neutral. When I move the gear shift there is a rod that goes down through the engine into the lower unit, that rod turns if i shift the gear shift. but it does not disengage gear. It is a 1999 50hp autolube. I hope this helps!!
          Shouldnt be able to operate the electric starter while in gear...

Comment

My guess is that you have had the lower unit off for some reason and then reinstalled it with the shifter or lower unit set in the wrong position.

Is this thing a remote operated motor or tiller?

It always helps to give the model # up front, as that tells us a lot about what motor you are talking about.

As was said there should be switches to keep from starting in gear, but if you have reinstalled the lower unit incorrectly or the lower unit is broken then the switches are still lined up properly in the neutral position but the gears are not where they need to be

Comment

Working...
            X