Trim Pump Leak 70hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Pump Leak 70hp

One of the trim cylinders has been leaking oil. I'm having a difficult time breaking the cylinder end screw loose. I fabricated my own spanner wrench (saving cost and there was conflicting information on the correct spanner wrench p/n). My first wrench failed - I fabricated it using 3/16" flat aluminum. The 3/8" square hole I cut for a breaker bar to engaged the spanner tore out. My second wrench was made with 1/8" flat steel. Instead of cutting a 3/8" hole for the breaker bar, I drilled a hole and welded a 3/8" bolt to it so that I could use a socket/wrench to engage the spanner. Well, this time the bolt head twisted off (used a low grade 2 soft bolt). I'm going to try again, but weld in a harder grade 5 bolt (The effort some will go to because they like shop!). Anyhow, I'm surprised how tightly the cylinder end screw appears to be. Anyone else tackle a job like this? Perhaps I should carefully apply some heat to the cylinder to help loosen it.

buy the one on ebay for $50
    WWW.SWITCHBAIT.COM

Comment

The end caps can be so tight you can break the pins in the spanner wrench. Big hammer & a big punch or chisel & hit hard to knock it loose. Replace the end cap & seals make sure shaft is not pitted.

Comment

Working...
      X