3.5AC - Where does thrust washer fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5AC - Where does thrust washer fit?

Hi All - my 1st post so please bear with me.

My newly acquired 3.5HP air cooled is vintage 1976. I have parts lists and service manuals but cannot understand how the 'thrust washer - 624-45534-00' and 'Clip - 624-45531-00' fit below the oil seal on the drive shaft. They were missing when I stripped the gearbox off to solve a water leakage into the gear oil - the previous owner had left these out (and also left the gear lever boot disconnected)!

As I understand it, the oil seal fits up into the cavity in the 'Plate Assy', but there is no ridge on the drive shaft below the oil seal for a clip and, if fitted, would seem to interfere with the bush at the top of the gearbox. The service book does not clearly deal with these items.

Any help would be gratefully received.
    Regards
    Bob

I'm not sure, we don't have any information on that model and i'm not familiar with them at all.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks.

I'm waiting on some spare parts - maybe they will make their use self-evident.

Regards
      Bob

Comment

Mystery solved,
        The clip rests in a slot across the splines to act as a stop because the spline is tapered out above it. It therefore resides in the gearbox proper.
        The thrust washer sits below the drive shaft oil seal and is not restrained except by its position.

Neither of these are addressed clearly in the Service Manual!

Cheers
        Bob

Comment

Working...
        X