f150 loud bang shifting into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f150 loud bang shifting into gear

i have a 2008 f150, that has a loud bang when i shift into gear.it has done this since it was new.there is no metal in the lower unit oil and the dealer said everything was in specs.when i start it up i let the rpm drop to 750 before i shift into gear.thanks in advance for any help.

Is it a "clunk" or a "bang"?...most motors experience a healthy "clunk" when put in gear. My motor has always done it, but don't consider it a problem. I understand Yamaha has addressed this gear shift sound on some of it's newer, higher HP motors. The "clunk" is the shift dogs engaging. Good Luck!

Comment

thanks for the reply.it is more of a clunk.i guess i will have to live with it.it just does not sound right.

Comment

I have found if you move the shifter swiftly it does cut down considerably on the clunking.

Comment

check/change your gear oil regular...I think if dealer said it was ok..I am not sure what else it could be..are you sure tach is correct??? most of my motors give only a very slight clunk when going into gear

Comment

Maybe the new 4 stroke motors are so quiet that folks just notice the gear "clunk" more than with the older noisier 2 strokes, like mine. Like I say, Yamaha has addressed this "clunk" on some of their newer, higher HP motors. Lot more good stuff to worry about than gear "clunk" Good Luck!

Comment

its a mechanical slam shift dog clutch arrangement.
              means the gears are spinning about 375 RPM and the propshaft is still.
              now we slam the shift clutch into the gear dogs and INSTANTLY the propshaft is spinning at the same speed as the gear we just engaged.
              incorrect or burned gearlube makes it louder,loose props make it louder and some stainless wheels make it louder.
              750 RPM at idle is at the very high side, next time its in for service see if they can calm it down to 700 -650.

Comment

Working...
              X