Reusing Fuel/water serparator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing Fuel/water serparator

I have have heard you should not reuse a F/W separator after checking it for water. Is this true?

get a new one each year..you can check/empty it and reuse it, but I recommend replacing it at least once yearly.

Comment

I've had the Walmart Fuel/Water separating filter on my boat about 3 years and so far have just unscrewed it, dumped it out, screwed it back on. Anything that gets past that filter is likely to get caught in the small under-cowl filter anyway. I just run a 12 gallon portable tank and never get much water or debris in the gas, so not much trash in the filter. I do keep a new spare filter cartridge in the boat for if/when I need it. I believe the fuel/water separating filters are the best preventive maintenance items so far!

Comment

I check mine several times a year. Got a big clear pickle jar in the dock box and unscrew the sep dump it there to check for water and anything else. Grease the gasket and put it right back on. Can't believe that I'm so queer about fuel now-a-days, but I've been bit by the ethanol monster before. Am I screwing up?
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

If you had a big motor with high WOT fuel flows, big gas tank with lots of water/rust/dirt/debris/whatever, then you might need to replace the cartridge filter every month or so. It just all depends on what you've got. I always open up a fuel filter with a hacksaw just to see what was in it...might be a good indication of problems in your fuel/tank or lines. No sense just throwing away a perfectly good/clean $8 cartridge if it's not necessary. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
          X