New VMAX owner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VMAX owner questions

I recently purchased a 1999 150 VMAX and I am looking for a little help on the routine maintenance of that engine. Particularly the oil injection system. Does this engine have any parts that need periodic replacement ? I have heard of some other engines in the past fail from oil injection failure and I am just curious if this motor has any areas that need special attention. I have never owned an oil injected motor so any advice is appreciated! Also is this engine picky about oil? I have been using West Marine oil, packaged by Starbrite, for premix engines and would like some feedback on Yamalube or what kind of oils are ok for the VMAX series. I did quite a bit of searching and read some informative posts by Rodblot and others on the forum so far! Thanks for your time.

I'd do a search on this forum and others about maintenace on the oiler. Yea a '99, you got some work to do on the system. I converted my motors to premix and use Amsoil HP Injector Oil. Burns real clean, smokes on start up, but after that nothing. Guys get good results with Penzoil synthetic also. No matter what you use, you should also run Ring Free. Hands down, it's the cheapest PM you can do to keep carbon in check.
    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

bump........

Comment

can ya post a full model number?

Comment

sure rodbolt, V150TLRX,thanks for your time.

Comment

keep the water pump,pressure control valve grommet and thermostats maintained.
            change the fuel pumps every 3 or 4 seasons.
            keep fresh clean fuel to it.
            change the remote tank oil filter once a year.
            drain the engine oil tank water trap once a month,its also a good time to test the alarm and oil transfer system.
            the only problems we see on the injection system is the white plastic clip on the oil pump arm.
            it cracks, can be easily seen months before it breaks.
            if it breaks it oils at its wide open position so it wont blow the motor.
            smoke like a train but wont hurt anything.

Comment

I made a mistake it is a P150, thanks for the info.
              What are your thoughts on yamalube oil?

Comment

the tune up and basic specs for the 99 P,D,L,and S 150 engines are the same.
                keep it maintained and it lives a long and happy life.
                yamalube is blended specifically for yamaha oiling systems.
                yes its twice the price of wally world oil but how much per year are you actually going to use?

Comment

Working...
                X