Converting tiller to remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting tiller to remote

Ok, try again. Ive changed the thread title hoping to get a response. I have a Yamaha 25 2 stroke 1999 mod ( 25 VMH 61 R S 010515 ) on the back of my tinny ( aluminium dingy for non Australians) that I want to convert from tiller to remote. I guess I need a 701 control box, some sort of throttle and gearshift adaptors and a steering adaptor ? I dont know what steering it will have, probably a teleflex ?. If I could get some part numbers for the bits I need it would be appreciated. Also, are the steering adaptors compatible with all types of aftermarket steering systems like teleflex ?

Cheers.

I had a friend who wanted to do this..the part cost really added up. I forget where he found the brackets/linkage needed, it was hard to find though..I will see if I can find the link..better if you can find a blown motor that has everything and buy it for parts, or buy another motor/boat already set up and sell yours. you can click your model number here and look at the schematics it may help you see what you need. Yamaha Outboard Parts 1999

Comment

I can buy a complete side console system with remote, steering and all the bits and pieces for $ 1200 Aus, thats $ 1188 US from a crowd in Far North Queensland . Problem is that the components are not Yamaha - which makes me a bit cautious. If you google Ganat Swing Away Console you will see what I'm intending to do.

Cheers

Comment

here is a stick steering
        EZY GLIDE BOAT STICK STEERING - eBay (item 230488886310 end time Feb-12-11 06:43:38 PST)

if you can get your hands on a used yamaha remote with cables and wire harness. then you will need some brackets/linkage for attaching cables..

Comment

Mmmmm, steering the boat with a stick - isnt that the same as using the tiller ? I think I'll use the swing away side console, just need the part numbers for the genuine steering bits from boats.net and the right remote

Comment

We don't have any information on a 25VMH model not sure if same as the US model (25MLHX) or not. The US model(a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine) used:
            6L2-48501-11-00 Remote Conversion kit
            689-61350-02-00 Steering Arm
            6J8-48511-51-4D Steering Hook

If Manual start use 701-48101-51-00 Side mount control box and two MAR-CABLE-xx-SC(replace xx with length canle needed) control cables.
            Like I said I don't know if these parts will fit your motor.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

no the stick can be placed in the center or front of the boat and you just pull it back or push it forward to steer..works really well. Those are some great links moderator, I searched a while back for a friend and could not find them. I sure do wish that you had pics so I could see what the parts look like.

Comment

Thanks guys. The yamaha that I have was marketed as the CV, which means customer value. It is very basic - 2 cylinder, 2 stroke,single carb. There was another sold at the same time that was 2 cyl, 2 stroke twin carb that was much more refined and better on fuel. The CV is / was a very populaer model in Australia because it was more powerful than the dual carb and rugged. The surf lifesavers still use them more than any other motor for their horsepower and simplicity.
                Last edited by derrilex; 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I found out today that the remote conversion attatchment kit I require is 689-48501-01-4D. I know I'm getting shafted on price but if none of the parts from the yankee range are compatible I dont have much choice. I'm paying $ 140 AUS for the kit, but I can get it for about $80 US/AUS online out of the virgin islands ? Same crowd is selling the 701 remote for $ 126 US/AUS where I was quoted $ 328 from my local yammy dealer here is Brisbane - go figure. Not sure what to do as I'm a bit cautious buying online from O/S. What sort of $$$ am I looking at to ship to AUS - say a 701 remote ?

Comment

I am looking at converting my 25MSHA3 also. I have a 701 control. Looking for the remote conversion kit? Its manual start. Any ideas

Comment

You are riding on an old post. Better to start a completely new one.

Then I and others will respond.

That's my idea!

Comment

------------

Comment

Ok, I am new at this. Do I click on new posts?

Comment

Yamaha Outboard Forum - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum

Click on new thread button

Comment

Working...
                            X