Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower unit seals are they same as driveshaft seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit seals are they same as driveshaft seals?

Ok looking at my parts left over looks like I used lower unit seals and installed under water impeller for driveshaft. Just ran the boat today after having fresh gear oil in there looks like white shake. Cabelas signature syn should not look this way should it. So are the prop shaft seals the exact same as driveshaft seals? Im guessing that the lower unit $48 kit is for prop seals. Seals look the same to me. Motor is 90 tlry 2stroke. What happened is I put so much effort into this motor that I over looked the small stuff. I may have opened up big Yamaha lower unit kit not realising there could be difference in those seals as I have two bags of (27) 93101-25m03 unopen and it looks like other part for prop (53) 6H1-45571-00-00 gear2 (26t). Motor was run on muffs, fill and drain screws seem fine,no leaks found around prop shaft no dripping so only place it could come from water impeller driveshaft seals they where installed backwards(by someone) if you remember my previous posts. Picture of oil comming
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 200090tlry; 01-31-2011, 01:02 AM.

on a few engines the prop and driveshaft seals are the same, most are not.
    look at your parts diagram.
    you have 3 shafts that require seals on that unit, prop shaft,drive shaft and shift shaft.
    each of the shafts have carriers that require orings and some gaskets.

Comment

Does the oil look contaminated

Will syn whip up and foam like that. I may pull the driveshaft seals again maybe the rubber pressing on shaft is different size than prop shaft. Also does harbor freight sell pressure pump like bicycle tire pump that can be converted. My compressor trigger part leaks air when used and does not give accurate PSI. I did do vacuum test with mighty vac and found at 14 it did drop a little but nothing like before. Im planning on running Mercury premium plus gear lube in yammi green stuff but before I drop the expensive stuff in there like to stop any water. Another idea I have is when the last seal is installed I will leave it higher up in housing toward the locking ring. Also I think the seals installed are right ones go figure looking at my order sheet it say's 4 total shipped with same 93101-25m03
      Last edited by 200090tlry; 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Ok did some more testing just did vac test at 14psi

It holds strong, then I try pressure test with bicycle pump and never even will register on gauge. Is there a better pressure tester I can use? Could the seal at bottom of housing be installed to far in. I could try pulling it out 1/2inch closer to edge if needed.

Comment

Working...
        X