No announcement yet.

Yamaha 1986 220HP oil pump not stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody thing is not working again, the module is seeing the off signal, as soon as I turn the key on the pump starts, stop signal makes but pump continues to run, voltages are the same as last time. It must be the module.

Comment

comes back to the difference between an electrcian,i an an electronics tech.
      you still have not monitored BOTH things.
      dude this aint house wireing its simple DC electronics.
      VERY big difference between an electrician and an electronics tech.

Comment

Never wired a house I build and design large process control systems for companys all over the world, And yes I have 2 multimeters connected and a scope , one across the start reed, one across the stop reed and one scope across the supply voltage. Have ordered a Module from this website today. If the voltages are OK and its getting the stop signal it should stop.

Comment

remember, that system will turn on the transfer pump at key on power for 20-40 seconds.

Comment

That is news I did not know, that means I can coast the rest of the day as I try to only learn 1 thing a day to keep from overloading the old brain.

Rodbolt, do you mean even if motor tank is completely full the pump will run for 20-40 seconds, won't that over fill the tank especially if someone is turning key on and off a lot during trouble shooting?
            Is that true for most models?

Comment

[url=http://interiorshomedesign.com/]hgtv.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                That is news I did not know, that means I can coast the rest of the day as I try to only learn 1 thing a day to keep from overloading the old brain.

Rodbolt, do you mean even if motor tank is completely full the pump will run for 20-40 seconds, won't that over fill the tank especially if someone is turning key on and off a lot during trouble shooting?
                Is that true for most models?

Good question

Comment

no, its only typical of the 80's model motors with an external oil control module.
                  if SW1 is closed then the pump wont cycle on at key on.
                  if SW1 is open then typically the 80's model engine will turn on the transfer until sw1 closes.
                  the new modules have some circuitry improvements and you have to add a lead to the pulser coil terminal and add the 6 resistor spark plug caps.
                  its all in the kit.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for us Rodbolt.

Bullet let us know if the module fixes it.

Comment

Will do, it will probably take a few weeks to get here in the meantime I'll just leave the main tank unplugged and manually top up the smaller tank.

Comment

and that is an icredibly fine method to smoke a powerhead due to debris in the oil pump intake.

Comment

Bullet, did you order the kit Rod mentioned or just the module?

Comment

I ordered the original module, which is now superceded, they are sending me a later module which I believe is a kit containing spark plug caps, module also some extra connection for a pulsar coil etc.

By manually filling I meant plug the lower tank back in and unplug it when its full again, stuffed if I am going to lift the cowl off and attempt to fill it out of a bottle.

When I get the gear (which has left) I will take some before and after photo's. You guys won't believe the engine is 25YO when you see them there is not a scratch or bit of corrosion on the motor, everyone the has seen it thinks its brand new. Its only slightly faded paintwork on the exterior that gives it away.

Comment

The problem seems to be solved, so far so good, changes noticed also include that all oil lights come on for a few seconds on start up (similar to a car). Will take the boat out in two weeks and hopefully all will still be good.

http://img153.imageshack.us/i/dscn0058o.jpg
                              Last edited by Bullet1750; 03-28-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

good to hear it is functioning properly finally.

Comment

Working...
                                X