Winter operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter operation

Down to what temparature will the Yamaha Precision Blend oil system pump oil properly? Seems like if the oil gets thick it will have a tough time pumping thru the little oil lines.

I know my lobster and clam buddys in RI use premix in the winter either solely or in addition to the oil injection.

I'm from Florida so I don't have any experience with cold climate operation but I would think that since oil reservoir is mounted on engine block the oil would be warmed up enough.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I can see that, once the motor gets some heat in it. I'm worried about the first 10 min or so.
      Also, the pump in the remote tank has to pump heavy oil uphill from the bilge.

I was actually thinking of adding some Seafoam to thye oil tank to thin the oil out to keep it flowing. Probably a bad idea......

Comment

Probably a bad idea. damn right....................... i guess your mates that go to premix or a blend have the right idea.

you could also have a separate fuel tank that is mixed for use until motor comes up to operating temp

Comment

Originally posted by mitch View Post
          Probably a bad idea. damn right....................... i guess your mates that go to premix or a blend have the right idea.

you could also have a separate fuel tank that is mixed for use until motor comes up to operating temp
          I have used yamahas in alaska at 10 or less and as long as there is no water in your oil they we will run just fine

Comment

Ok, that makes me fell better. I'm not planning on much boating below freezing.....

Comment

Working...
            X