new, used or rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new, used or rebuild?

I have a vmax 200 3.1 that i think the power head is shot on. I'm just wondering what makes more sense a: find a new or rebuilt one b: rebuild the one i have myself c: find a good used one?
    I am a certified motorcycle mechanic so i'm not afraid to rebulid the motor myself but i am kind of short on time so it would have to save quite a bit of money for it to be worth me doing. I would really love to find a good used powerhead to replace the mine but i'm not sure where to find one or what a fair price is if i am able to find one.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Luke

If it was me, I would disassemble the engine to find out how bad off it truly is before making any other decisions. If you open it up and it falls into pieces you will have your answer. If you open it up and the damage is minimal; you might be able to save a few dollars and you will know the quality of the build.

Of course you might want to examine the rest of your outboard before making any decisions as well. If your lower unit is just as bad off, then you might really want to consider buying another and saving this for a winter project.

Also buying from boats.net is very affordable and I have always received my parts in a timely manner.

Comment

Boats.net sells Yamaha powerheads and they are reasonbly priced. I've heard that once you get past getting all the frozen bolts out the job goes pretty smooth. Let us know what you do.
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Thanks for the ideas so far guys. Unfortunately i crashed on a motocross track the other day and broke 5 ribs along my spine and cracked a few others as well as alot of inner tissue damage. So now i've got a little healing to do before i can work on the motor.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Luke. What happened? Tried a triple and landed wrong? Crashed and everyone used you for traction? Try doing enduro's; you'll finish in 1-piece.
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Tucker i was going through a rhythm section and about 3/4 of the way through it there was a soft rutted face on one of the jumps and i came off of it almost sideways. It could have corrected but it was a real high speed section that you didn't get much air over so there was no time for me the bring the bike back around. I couldn't get away from the bike and it broke me up pretty good but nothing that won't heal up. About the enduro.. I have never cared for bouncing off the trees and rocks and around here there a lot of both of those and it's mostly single track every where i've been.

Comment

Working...
            X