Tach oil light and RPM question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach oil light and RPM question.

Well, my project boat is completed and in the water. I remember the tach had three lights on the bottom of it for the oil level. I was out on the water yesterday, looked the tach and only saw the green light on. I’m not exactly sure but I thought there was supposed to be two lights on. Should there be two lights on or just one. (1989 yamaha 90)

I have one more problem that concerns the idle. While I was on the water I found the idle was set at 1100-1200 RPMs. I got the boat home and adjusted the idle screw out but the idle didn’t drop. If I push down on the throttle linkage the idle will drop. As soon as I let go it goes back up. I have a repair manual but it doesn’t state how to lower it. How do I lower it?

sounds like your old style tach is on its way out and simply adjust the 33c gear cables to reduce rpm`s at motor, probably 2-4 turns in to get it right.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the cable. I was going to try that but didn't know if I should adjust it at the cable. The tach is brand new so I dont think its going out. I got to thinking about it and I think I could be wrong about the lights. (Left to right) There is a red, yellow, and green light on the tach. I think the lights are for the oil level. The green when its full. Yellow for half full and red for empy. Can anyone shed any light on this for me. I hope I'm not just wishful thinking on how the lights work.

Comment

Working...
      X