Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No feedback from shifter & slips out of reverse on Yamaha 8HP 2-stroke

First post here!

My boat is an 1988 (sailboat) model and the motor is original to the boat and it runs great, starts on first or second pull. The boat is new to me and I'm trying to get to know all its little quirks.

In regards to the motor, I have been having a few annoying problems with it that I believe are probably all interrelated.

1) When the motor is off, the gear selector lever gives little to no feedback when I put in forward, reverse, or neutral. When running, I can feel it engage in forward and reverse and disengage into neutral. When I select neutral, there is quite a bit of slop in the gear selector lever.

Should I be getting some feedback when I switch from forward to neutral, etc.?

2) My gear selector lever has a tendency to pop out of reverse and slip into neutral unless I hold it into the reverse position

3) Frequently, when I'm attempting to start the motor, the pull cord doesn't retract. It feels like the mechanism which prevents starting in gear is partially engaging. I can feel/hear it catching as I pull the cord, then I have to remove the cowling and pull the cable that releases it and the cord will re-coil.

I feel like by gear selector linkage is sloppy and poorly adjusted, or perhaps there are some stops which have been worn and leave my neutral selection sloppy, but I don't see anything in the owners manual that addresses these issues. I don't have a repair manual, but will buy one if someone can suggest a good one.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
    Brett

Let's try this again, I'll be more concise...

25 views, 0 replies...OK, let me be a bit less wordy.

1) How do I keep the gear selector lever from slipping out of reverse and into neutral?

2) Would a properly working/adjusted gear selector mechanism center the lever in the neutral position, or is it normal for the lever to be sloppy between forward and reverse

Thanks,
    Brett

Comment

Wish you would have gotten a reply on this one. My 30hp is doing the same thing. Wondering if there is just an adjustment?

Dale

Comment

First off, it's a bad idea to shift it while it's not running. If the clutch dog isn't lined up it won't go into gear.
        I'm not familiar with your model but it is adjustable some where. A clue to your prblem is the slop in the lever correct that, readjust and you will most likely solve your problem.
        Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Someone familar with your model may be along.

Comment

There is not really any adjustments, check for worn bushings or worn linkage on shifter and shift linkage. May need to drop the gearcase and see if can shift gearcase in gear ok to tell if problem is in gearcase or shift linkage on motor.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

When you put a 8hp lower unit back in place there is a clamp that holds the shift rod from the lower to the shit handle. it is located half way down the engs midsection. of you tilt the motor up while on a stand you will be able to see it from underneath. loosen that ( you will need 2 10mm wrenches) then shift into rev. then push down toward the prop on the rod coming from the lower unit until the lower is in rev. then tighten the clamp and check for fwd. neut. and rev. just don't force it when checking, spin the prop while shifting. that will keep the clutchdog from being harmed. start there

Comment

Originally posted by Dale-Arizona View Post
              Wish you would have gotten a reply on this one. My 30hp is doing the same thing. Wondering if there is just an adjustment?

Dale
              This is a different story 30 hp should have a splined shift shaft there may be an adjustment issue with your cables or tiller

Comment

Working...
              X