overcharging problem with 90HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overcharging problem with 90HP

Hi ,I own a Yamaha 90 2stroke outboard 2004 model.I have experienced overcharging (16 volts) being displayed on the gauges and staying at 16v.My local dealer has explained it as a fully charged battery and once the battery has lost its,s full charge the "problem" will go away.I,m not keen on being 10 miles from shore with an electrical problem such as this.The current battery is approx 12 mths old and i have never had this problem before.I have been using a "trickle" charger and I have kept the battery fully charged since new.Does this make sense to others or should I be taking my boat to another service centre?

16V is not normal, you can check the accuracy with a hand held meter on the battery while the motor is running.
    You may need to make sure all battery connections are clean and tight along with the cable connections at the motor.

Comment

overcharging problem

Yes,I know its not normall,the dealer claims everything is ok and once the battery is slightly discharged the problem will go away.Has anyone else experienced this problem ? My big question is Why all of a sudden am I having an overcharging problem,if as the dealer tells me , there is no problem !

Comment

bad voltage regulator , battery, or connections

Here is a quote from a Yamaha master tech on a different forum

"regulators usually bite the dust due to faulty batteries or using wing nuts on the cable ends and simply dont get them tight."
        Last edited by 99yam40; 09-28-2010, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that I think a new service centre and new voltage reg as suggested.

Comment

Working...
          X