Tattle-tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattle-tell

I have a fairly new 15 hp four stroke motor which has been running great; I clean it and flush it with fresh water after every use and I perform all the recommended maintenance on schedule.
    Last weekend I was running water through the inlet hose and I notied that water was not coming out of the hot water discharge/tattle-tell. I messed with it for a while and go the water to flow again, but much slower than before. Any ideas?

What did you do to get it to flow again?
    Usually just some crud plugging the tattle tail hose.
    salt, calcium, or trash.
    When was the last water pump change?

I fish the old brown ceder cut flats often, sight fish for reds. A lot like hunting and fishing all at once
    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Still concerned

I 'massaged' the water hoses on the motor but I was afraid to disconnect any of them or to try take any parts off of the motor. The engine is almost brand new, less than 100 hours on it, so no pump change yet.

I fish the same area occasionally, in fact was there last weekend until it started getting rough.

Comment

Yea, I was there also,but too many people out there on the holiday weekend.

Running in shallow water with mud and sand, I would be looking at changing it every year.
        I have had one impeller loose a couple of vanes in less than a year, but not sure why. I may have started it while tilted up out of the water once or twice but shut it off within a second or two. Always heard not to start dry for that reason.

Run a piece of heavy mono or weed whacker string up it and wiggle it around while running to see if that helps

Comment

Good suggestion

I tried your suggestion but there doesn't seem to be any change; the water flow is rather weak instead of a steady flow. Water is flowing well from the holes just above the cavitation plate and the water coming from the tattle-tail is warm but not hot. Am I worrying needlessly?

Comment

My tattle-tail on my c40tlrx never gets hot just warm, but it comes out hard even at idle.
            Are you saying this is a problem while running motor or just when on the hose?

If it is while running then I would be looking at the pump, especially if it use to come out stronger

Comment

both

It comes out slower than it used to both when running and when on the hose.

Comment

Then maybe some kind of blockage, try blowing into it with compressed air to see if that helps move thing around.

I am heading to the flats this morning to see if the reds are tailing and if the tide is low enough for me to see them.

Comment

Hallalujah!

It worked! I blew out the water lines and started it up. The water is flowing like normal. I owe you a six-pack at least! Hope to see you on the water soon. I'm the one with a small v-hull, a 15 hp Yamaha, a wife, and a dog. I know you have a 40 horse motor; what kind of boat do you have?

Comment

I run a 16 ft Xpress Modified V with poling platform I had built for it.
                    I attached a couple of pics from the web site from the guy I had build it.
                    I realy enjoy it, but I do throw plastic at them most of the time.
                    Just like site casting to the reds to see if I can make them bite.
                    Hope to see you out there some day.
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X