04 yamaha hpdi 200hp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 yamaha hpdi 200hp problem

Hello all, I had a problem with water in my tank and motor started running rough. I drained the water out of tank and the rest of the system and motor still ran rough so I changed the water seperator, the cartridge filter and cleaned the VST filter.When I had the VST apart the pump dropped down and I had trouble getting it to stay in place while putting it back together (don't know if there is a trick to keeping it in place). Got it all back together and ran it on an auxilary tank and still was not running right. When I head out of harbor it runs fine up to about 1600 RPM and when I try to open it up it sputters like it is starved for fuel. If I shut it off and let it sit for a couple minutes it will go right up and plane out at about 4000 RPM then gradually loose power down to about 1200 RPMS and sometimes stall out, again if I let it sit for a couple it will do the same thing or I can limp back to the dock at about 1200 RPM with no problem. If I give it throttle while in neutral no problem evan at higher RPM. I also changed the VST strainer after the tank but used an older one I had just to see if there was any change but there wasn't. Any ideas as to what this might be could it be a problem with electronic pump in VST not in right. I did check compresion and was within 10 on all cylinders. PLEASE HELP THANKS Eric

Sounds like a fuel restriction, check for pinched fuel lines and recheck filter installations on engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I am having the same exact problem with my 06 200 HPDI. When it first happened I found that the first filter (in the clear canister) had dropped into the canister where it was not functional, later to find that this filter, which was on it when i bought was not actually the correct filter for the engine. I replaced that filter with the right one and checked for a clogged vst filter by removing the drain valve and spraying carb cleaner through the hole. Found that the filter was very clogged and changed it, finding that the old one had warped on the sides because it was so clogged. Still no change in the engines performance, if anything it is worse because I cannot even fast idle the engine all the way w/o having it die on me. Today, after spending day and night searching the internet for a diagnosis I found a post of someone, with similar problems tapping on the vst tank lightly with a hammer. I did this with the engine running and the idle on high and after a few taps the engine seemed to get fuel and run good for about 30 seconds and then back to running bad. I pulled the in-line filter off and tried to blow through it to find that it was pretty clogged after just replacing it. I blew the filter out with my compressor and put it all back together and started the engine again, same problem. I took the in-line filter off again and blew it out to find that there was more debris in it. I stopped messing with it after that and I still have not determined my problem. PLEASE if someone can help or has any suggestions let me know. Thanks

Comment

Also checked all filter installations and there are no kinked fuel lines.

Comment

I just did mine and there is no way that the oring, atop the the small plastic sleeve/bushing, is going to let that pump drop down, when seated properly. Notice that the plastic sleeve is not evenly cut all around but is slightly cut out for about 45 degrees. Art

Comment

inTherapy, it was not the vst pump that was dropping down on me it was the filter element in the cup filter (68F-24562-10-00). I did however notice when searching for this part number that the schematic shows a picture of the old filter element I had that was dropping on me. My mechanic has informed me that Yamaha has changed the design of the filter to prevent this. Either way the one that I have in there now stays much better.

If it helps at all I believe that I have solved my problem. I had changed every filter there was to change without any difference. I pulled the fuel injectors and back flushed them in case one was clogged, and while i did get some tiny sediment out of them I found that that was not my problem. either. On a side note, after I put the injectors back in I was checking to see if all my cylinders were firing correctly by pulling the wires of the plugs in idle, and listening for a change. I found that cylinders 2 and 3 were not firing even after rearranging spark plugs and coils and even pulling the injectors and back flushing them again. I got online and found that my engine actually drops specifically those two cylinders in idle. Anyways, all components of the fuel system before and after the high pressure pump either cleaned or replaced and surly unobstructed, I determined that that must me where my problem is. I had read that there is a screen in the intake side of that pump, similar to the screens in the fuel injectors, and some people have had success cleaning it out. I had avoided messing with this pump because I knew it was expensive to replace but I had no other options, I pulled the control rack cover off of it and found a bunch of sediment in the screen. There seems to be no way to pull this filter without ruining it so I blasted it with seafoam, while the engine was angled down and making sure I had a paper towel right under it so the sediment could not clog anything else. The definitely runs better now, and Im off to test it in the water.

After all the hours I put in I believe I should have realized this problem when I tested the fuel pressure between the electric vst pump and the high pressure pump. The gauge read 50 psi when it should have read 44 psi, I assume meaning that there was an obstruction and not that I just have an extra strong vst pump. Hindsights 20/20 I guess.

P.S. Does anyone know if or where you can buy the small cone screens that fit into the back of the fuel injectors?

Comment

One other note. I needed to clean my O2 sensor as all of the filters you described were clean and my 150 HPDI still missed at 3000 to 4500.
              If you search The Hull Truth message boards you see a bunch of posts' for these tiny filters-most just clean and put back.

Comment

hpdi injectors

if you got water into the vst tank or any varnish the filter after the the vst tank will need to be cleaned and take screens out of injector there so fine they will glog right up

Comment

Working...
                X