Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 ProV 150 - Low power trying to plane

Hi,

Here is my problem with the backstory below. I am not even a novice at engine repair, however it will be a couple weeks before I can afford to take the boat in for service. Looking to be an educated customer so I can perhaps relay the right info, or perhaps fix on my own if possible.

My boat will start and idle just fine, when I accelerate to get on plane, I am about 5mph from making it. I just push water.

The engine will shake a bit after about 1 minute of this, then die. Then it is hard to start. I assume I am flooding it.

Problem started one day when I took off on a ride. I got up on top of the water about 4 times, the rain was coming so I turned around to head back. then all of the sudden, I cant do it anymore.

I jacked around with the muffs on to see if I took on some debris since the river was up, muddy and sticks all over. Nothing looked bad so I took it out the next day. Got right up on plane. Did it again. Next time... cant do it.

Now it wont even get on plane when I put it in the water. I pump the bulb when I am moving and that seems to speed up the flooding process til I kill it. I thought maybe I was taking on water and the weight was too much after a little bit, but she is dry when I take it out.

I also read I could run the motor and pull off the plug wires to test. I think there are 3 or 4 on each side and I start at the top and go down, didnt really notice anything but the 2 on the bottom shock the holy hell out of me. So then I thought I had a bad wire. And that is where I am at right now. LAst year my mechanic cleaned the carbs. He said they were the worst he ever saw and was suprised it even ran. But the guy I got it from was a no maintenance guy. So I assume the carb cant get gunked up after just 10 months. But I dunno. My next thought was do I have to dissasemble the carbs to clean them. I spray my sons carb on his go kart while it is still attached and that free's up the float when it gets stuck. Have to do that about once a year.

Anyway, I think thats everything, I did clear the tank out and put fresh gas, cause I thought it could be that too.

After typing all that, it seems I am repeating so many comments I have read on the net and they all point to Carbs. But my gut tells me plugs. I say that because it seems to me like if I have a short in a wire, it would work sometimes and then when I swing a turn, it could short out and miss, then I am in low power mode. Any comments anyone has is appreciated.
    Last edited by jmiller278; 08-15-2010, 04:44 AM.

sounds like carbs BUT if you pump ball and it bogs down motor, look at your low pressure fuel pumps... unbolt them, pump ball, if gas comes out of vac port, replace and be sure to use a new gasket.
    you can probably get the best prices here on boats.net

Comment

Thanks

Ok, I will see if I can figure out what the low press. pump is.

I did take a closer look the other day. I took this black plastic part off the front of the carbs, just to look at the carbs. There was about 1/4 in of oil in the bottom of that, and the circle flap things that open and close, and I assume let air in, had some oil on them. Anyway, not sure if that is supposed to be like that or not. Am taking it out this week to jack around with it. if I dont figure anything out, I will take it to the shop and post what his answer is. Thanks for lookin!

Comment

Working...
      X