Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Part Question: Prop and Tach

Two Part Question: Prop and Tach

Just got a new to me boat G3 Eagle 165 PF (G3 Boats - Eagle 165 PF & 165 PF Vinyl) with a Yamaha F40LA (TLR). The manual says the OEM prop is a 10 1/4 x 14, and I'm not sure that is what is on the boat since it was'nt purchased new; there are no markings. It does not seem like I'm getting the gas mileage that I should out of the boat, mostly cruising, not on plane a lot because of sandbars. I wonder if I should get another prop of OEM size to see if this fixes the gas mileage issue?

1) Prop - What kind? OEM size? Aluminum? SS? Is SS "bad" to use in case of a hitting a rock and not give as much as aluminum? I'm prone to accidents so maybe aluminum would be better for me?

2) Tach - I probably need a tach to make sure I'm getting the most out of the prop, etc... Anyone recommend a tach, or are there Fish Finders that are capable of plugging to the motor to provide tach? Would kind of like to have an all in one unit (FF, Tach, GPS), if one exists. If not what tach? Yamaha?

I know that's a lot to digest, but thanks for any help!
    Last edited by BigHutch; 08-10-2010, 09:42 PM.

Just checked the prop, it has a "Y-2 14 G" on it. I may need to take it off to see if there are any other markings.

Comment

Yes pull it off and look for other markings.
      Look at this site to see the mileage they got at the different RPMs and the prop size they have on boats

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard.../perfbull.aspx

Comment

Working...
      X