Yamaha Trim Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Trim Question

Ok, I bought a boat with a 2000 Yamaha 115 2 stroke. When using trim switch on the control, the motor will only trim down to a certain point & stop. The point is almost all the way down. But not all the way to help in planing. I have to walk back to motor, trim further down with motor switch. Motor goes all the way down when using trim switch on the motor. Acts like there is a limit switch stopping it just from the control switch. Then other times it is OK. Can't imagine being a wiring harness problem at the motor. From the controls, it goes all the way up & down, except it stops right before it gets all the way down.
    Am I missing something ?
    Last edited by pappastratos; 08-04-2010, 03:00 PM.

It is like it establishes a "all the way down position" from the control. Does not have a trim guage.

Comment

My similar problem was the insulation on the lug that connects(trim sys) to the battery. I Cut it back cleaned it up and everything worked OK.

Comment

Isolated problem to a broken wire in the control harness just as it enters the motor ! never seen a broken wire in the harness before on ANY motor I have had. So, do I replace the harness or repair it ? I have repaired a harness before. Does this mean other wires are weak too ? Is this a yamaha problem ? (2000 Yamaha 115 2 stroke.) Is just the connector available to cut harness past bad area & install a new connector ? There is 10' of extra harness in bilge/storage.

Comment

Anyone have any input on this ??

Comment

Depends on what happened to the wire and what the rest of them look like. Did it have a corrosion problem from cut insulation or did it just break from bending over and over.

I am sure the connectors are available along with the special tools to install them from some where, but it maybe simpler to find/get a new harness

Comment

Thanks for reply, Looks like it broke just as it comes out of the motor. no corrosion. I have not cut the insulation yet. You can feel a bump just under the insulation in the cable where it goes into the cable relief at the motor. I bet the bump is the trim wire that is broke. Could have had a loop in the wire that was not sraightened when cable was made. Cable is smooth every where else. I have never had a wire in the harness break, I have repaired one that was cut & it worked,,,

Comment

Being an electrician I have run lots of wire and cables in my time and I did find one cable that had a wire that was open inside the cable and when I cut it open the factory had just layed the two ends of a wire across each other inside the insulation causing a bump and making contact but not able to carry the current

Comment

Thanks for all the replies ! Still have not cut insulation, but it feels like a kink in a single outer wire. You can bend the cable at that point & trim works. I can see how a kink or loop could be easily missed during cable/harness manufacturing. Considering these are made in probably 500-1000' rolls.

Comment

What I found was a broken trim down (light green) wire just as it goes into the motor. Repaired broken wire, sealed with a vulcanizing tape, & was able to push repaired area into the motor cowling.

Comment

Working...
                    X