Digital Fuel/Batt/Speed Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Fuel/Batt/Speed Gauge

Hi Ya folks, i have been browsing the forums on my topic but I am still not sure about my problem.

I have a 100HP Yam, there are two digital Gauges mounted in the console.

The one that shows fuel tank level/Batt State/ Boat Speed Etc seems to have a problem. It recently showed all info accurately and now the screen is totally blank. Every now and then it flashes on and off and blinks and then just goes off.

I am assuming that this is a power problem to the Gauge and not a problem with any of the senders as then I would see info on the Gauge whereas it is totally dead no info for speed/batt charge or Fuel tanks level.

I looked under the console and there are two Gauges(The other being Tachometer) wired into "common" wires which I am assuming go to the start switch and battery, there are two more wires which are not common which I am assuming go to the fuel tank sender.

Anyways I inspected all the wiring that is common between the two gauges and there is a black wire which I dissconnect from the working gauge and it loses display to the working gauge, I am assuming that this is the power supply wire, however the non working gauge is connected to this line(Common) and therefore should have power, but still there is no display at all on the LCD of the Fuel/Speed/Batt Gauge.

Do you think I have a broken Gauge or should I look further?
    Any tips or hints on how to troubleshoot this further???

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Globe76

Should have 12 volts between red wire and black wire. Should have 12 volts between yellow and black wires with ignition key turned on to power gauges.
    Last edited by boats.net; 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for reply, I will try that out and see how I go.

Comment

So for clarification, yellow and black should show 12v(power to Gauge when ignition is on) The 12 volts between red and black when ignition off or when ignition is on??????

Comment

Yes red =battery voltage, yellow=key on power.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks I will check that out. Is it possible that the Gauge has had water ingress and that is the problem, is it easy to dismantle and check for moisture and dry out or use dielectric???

Comment

I check Voltage and seems like I have voltage drop. Voltmeter is showing around 10v. Cleaned up a few wires which had evidence of corrosion and sprayed with corrosion block. The Gauge is still not working.

Looks likes wiring needs to be changed out and also maybe a faulty Gauge.

What is the part number for this??

Yamaha 100HP Not sure on year??

Thanks for your input folks.

Comment

6Y5-83570-S5-00 Multifunction Speedometer.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X