70 ETLK power trim question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 ETLK power trim question

704 binacle control; when I activate the trim switch the trim motor sounds fine but the engine doesnt come up. What would the most likely things to check be?

It would be a hydrolic problem in trim unit, check the fluid level and open the manual release screw on trim unit and tilt up and down by hand while checking fluid level each time it's in the up position to get air out of system. If that doesn't work there is a problem in the trim unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Jim,
      Sometimes when you manually tilt the outboard up and down as boats.net mechanic described, the trim/tilt pump will start working again. There are check valves in the pump, and trash can get stuck in a valve, and manually circulating the fluid can sometimes flush out the culprit.
      If your pump still does not work after you have manually tilted and checked/added fluid, then the pump will have to be torn down and rebuilt or replaced. I went thru this a few years back on a 90 Merc and had to go to several marine mechanics before I found one willing to tear the pump down and replace bad parts. Most just want to replace the whole unit, which is easier for them, but a lot more expensive to you. For me, it was $75 instead of $450.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks guys. I cycled the motor up and down a few times by hand and checked the oil level without any success. the pump runs but the motor doesnt budge. Unless I repower i will probably opt for a new trim unit.

Comment

Working...
        X