Bad gas - water or oil in my fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad gas - water or oil in my fuel tank

I did it. I can't believe I did it. I had a 5-gallon tank in the garage. I was sure I grabbed the right tank, but instead I must have grabbed an old one that had either water or oil in it. I had about 4 gallons of good gas in the boat's fuel tank and put about 4 gallons of the bad stuff on top of it. Ran fine for about 20 minutes and then sputtered out.

It's a 2006 Yamaha 150 on our 20' Sea Hunt. Is a fix as simple as replacing the fuel filter and syphoning out the bad gas?

Thanks!

If you had a fuel/water seperator it MIGHT have caught the water/crud and just restricted your fuel flow. If not, better drain entire fuel system, carbs, filters, everything, put some fresh gas and see if it'll run. If not, may have to clean carbs, filters, screens, etc., whatever. Good news, probably no permanent damage to motor. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Comment

Main thing is the find out what you put in the tank.
      If it was water you will need to drain and clean the tank and all other lines, pumps, carbs and everything else you can think of completely to eliminate future problems occurring over and over

Comment

Working...
      X