Squeaking 225 2005 Outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaking 225 2005 Outboard

My 225 Hp Yamaha 2005 outboard makes a squeaking sound at idle.
    After running for about 45 min. I usually let it idle for a couple of min. Sometimes, not always there is a squeaking sound coming from the top of the engine. I thought it was the timing belt but the belt looks ok. Since the noise does not happen when i am at the dock I can't figure out what it is. I was wondering if any other members have this intermittant noise. could it be the idler pully... and if it is can the pully be lubricated?

It may be the rubber drive shaft bushing right under the power head. You can drop the lower unit,look up in there to inspect/grease the bushing, put back together, not a bad job other than dropping lower unit. While you have it down maybe check/replace water pump impeller. Good Luck!

Comment

Noise upper part of engine

Check page 2 of this forum, 150 4 stroke counter balance, by clayw, he had the same type of noise.

Comment

Same Problem!

I've had same problem with my 90hp 4-stroke. Its more then likely the bushing the driveshaft slides through to connect the powerhead. If you crank it in the yard you should be able to turn the motor to where you can see the driveshaft turning. Get yourself some white lithium grease or silicone spray and spray the driveshaft liberally. This should quite it down for a while. It will be back until it wears that bushing down. Just repeat this when it does. Otherwise, like me your gonna take it to the shop, they'll clean your driveshaft and regrease and then it will eventually come right back.

Comment

Working...
        X