Lower unit locked up @ high speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit locked up @ high speed.

Okay new guy here so take it easy on me....

Today I was running around 4700 RPMs and heard a nasty sound come from the motor and shut it off immediately.

When I tried to start it wouldn't turn over, kept shifting from forward to reverse and finally got it start but it's hung in reverse. It even starts in reverse... so we backed about 1 mile to shore. Probably not good for it but had the son with me and it was starting to storm.

I have never rebuilt a lower unit before but I like to think I am pretty good with tools (replaced and rebuilt a couple car engines in the past), is this a job for the DIY or should it be left to the professionals?

If I have to take it somewhere how much should I expect it to cost (ball park estimate)? What about if I do it myself (parts).

It's a 1990 Yamaha 250 - Model 250ETXD

Thanks

read up on it in your service manual and see what all tools you need to tear apart and put back together. then see if you want to purchase them along with all parts needed.
    Will not know what all parts are needed until you take it apart.
    They do sell after market lower units also.

Comment

Thanks hopefully I will get time this week to break it down and see what is actually broken.

Comment

have a look around you should be able to find a good second hand one for not a real lot of dollars

Comment

Made a couple of calls today to local dealers neither one had one in stock. I asked how much they sale for, one place said they get $700 and the other said they usually get $800 for used and new $5,000.

Got home late today but did pull the bottom plug and it is cover in tons of super fine shavings, almost like a paste.

I will keep looking for a lower unit....

Need to fix the foot and then I going to rebuild the carburetors for sure and maybe rebuild the engine and repaint.

Going to start another tread with questions about rebuilding the engine (weather needed or not)...

Comment

Working...
          X