200 HPDI Stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 HPDI Stalling

Last month engine stalled out on trip back to Marina. Emptied fuel cup, installed new plugs and in-line filter, next time out boat ran well. Ran boat till fuel tank indicator was at lowest level to empty out old gas.

Put in 30+ gallons of new fuel (non-E-10) and correct amount of blue Stabil and when I started it yesterday it ran for a few minutes and stalled out. Emptied fuel cup, drained vapor seperator, installed new in-line filter, re-primed and stated again but it only ran for a few seconds.

When I primed the bulb, it never really got firm and only filled the fuel cup 1/2 to 2/3 full. Also, there is an air valve at ther top of the seperator. Is there a trick to pumping the bulb? Should I release any air/vapor in the seperator via the valve? Can I fill the fuel cup by hand?

Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Safe boating to all!

Well i don't have very many hours under my bely with the 200hpdi matter of fact about 8 since I just got it, But I don't think you can bleed pressure out of the fuel filter mounted on the engine by pressing the releaf valve on top of the VST. At least in my case that didn't work. I thought the same thing that I needed to fill the VST from the fuel filter and let the air excape. If there is a way to do it I would like to know as well. I just pumped out about 90 gal of fuel out of my tank because I had crap in the tank filling my water sep filters.
    I had read on here that the system will perge itself then will run pretty rough till it gets all the air out. Thats what I did with mine and I have other issues with it now. Good luck

Comment

Are there any sure fire ways to ensure you get the fuel cup full and also get fuel to the vapor seperator. I think my big problem now is getting fuel and pressure to the system so it will start and continue to syphon fuel to allow the motor to run

Comment

I don't have this exact engine but it sure sounds like you got an air pocket in there. Best way to be sure is hook up 3-gal fuel tank directly to the engine and bypass boat fuel system. If she runs fine there's your problem. When draining the f/w sep did you loose prime there? If so I believe you need to remove it, fill it with fuel, and grease the seal before reinstalling.
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Would it help any to also try to fill the in-line filter w/ gas before re-installing? Also, should I worry about filling the vapor seperator, and if there is an air pocket, will it eventually purge itself, or is theresomething I need to do to eliminate any air pockets? Thanks for the responses!

Comment

Yes, always fill the fuel/water seps when changing. The VST is self purging. If the bulb is not getting hard, you have an air leak in the system somewhere and it's loosing prime. Hooking up an auxilary tank is the only way to really confirm that.

Comment

Blissful what was the outcome?

Comment

What happened

Curious to know if you get her running, the last post was right the vst will prime it's self and get rid of the air if your bulb won't get hard or firm you have a leak some where. I just went through that mine was leaking at the fuel filter mounted on the eng. Good luck fill your water sep filter when you change it to.

Comment

Working...
                X