Twin 200 hpdi problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin 200 hpdi problem

I bought a 269 W/A with twin 200 hpdi. On the test drive they ran great the nest day it would get above 1800 rpm i took it back to the consignment shop the had it about 4 days and said they cleaned the vst. I get it back runs great one day. I noticed they did not change the water sep filters so I changed them had some crap in them put new ons on ran great next 2 times out. The last time out it was surging by a couple hundred rpms, when I got it back checked the water sep filters again crap in them. So I replaced them again looked in the tank at the fuel gauge sending unit since that is the biggest hole in the tank didnt see anything in the fuel. So I started to look at the VST tank Thinking they lied about cleaning the VST filter. Turns out they did because the pinched the o ring that seales the tank and the screws were no more than finger tight on either engine. Anyway opened up one of the VST the filter is clean put it back together and I read that it would run rough for a while till it purges all the air out of the fuel system she ran very rough for about 1 min then died. now she will not start at all. Pulled the plugs fuel was dripping off of them. now there is no spark, no blown fuse I didnt touch anything with the electrical system, Any Ideas? That was the starboard eng. The port Checked the fuel filter on the side of the eng. was pretty clean I think the water sep filter is doing its job. anyway fired it up it also ran pretty rough 7-1300 rpms for about 5 min. I had the lower unit in a tub of water and the ear muffs on it. all of the sudden the alarm goes off Nothing flashing on the digital gauge not hot not oil just the alarm. I shut it off and looked in the tube the lower unit was in. and there was quite a bit of black flakes floating in it. Looks like carbon. I have no idea what that means. If anyone has any Idea please help I love being on the water and these problems are killing me. When the boat runs it runs great. I think it has set up for a long time before I got it. I have been saving for a boat like this for a long time. I bought it before I sold the old one wife is mad as h ll! right now.Different problems on both engine please help.
    Last edited by jmf0369; 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM.

If you are using spark plugs to check spark, try a new set of spark plugs. The HPDI engine only idle on 4 cylinders so rough running in a tub is not uncommon. When running in a tub the water level has to be at least 6-7 inches above cavitation plate or it will overheat.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the info, any insite on what the carbon flakes mean that came out in the exhaust while the motor was in the tub running. I also had the ear muffs on it to ensure it was getting enough water. I will try the new
      pugs

Comment

Update

I have drained my 205 gal fuel tank, I guess lucky for me there was only 90 gal of fuel in it? Anyway I sucked out as much junk as I could out of it, when I have a nice day I will drain and replace the engine mounted filters and the VST filter and relace the oring that seals the tanks since the mech pinched one, then I will replace the spark plugs and the oil strainer (filter) just to make sure there is no issue with the oil. Other than that I am interested in getting the diagnostic software for the engines I saw a post about it somewhere on here but i must have overlooked it so If anyone out there has it could you send me the link, and the name of the best engine manuel? 2002 LZ200HPDI. After all this I would hope that the bugs are worked out of here. We are dieing to get on the water and get into some mahi, grouper. Thanks

Comment

Got her going

Turns out the plugs were fowled that's why I did see any spark put new plugs in it and it wasn't getting gas. Took the vst back apart and turns out the neg wire connection on the vst pump came off the terminal. Kind of hard to fix but I got it back together fixed a fuel leak from the filter mounted on the eng and she fired right up ran alittle rough for about 5 min but is running good now.

Comment

Working...
          X