703 remote(trim/tilt) replacment??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 703 remote(trim/tilt) replacment??

I need to change out my remote trim/tilt switch on a 1989 yamaha 703 remote. can someone who has done it give me a quick run down on how to disassemble the remote to change the switch? thanks

Switch Replacement

I had to do mine a year ago. You will need to remove the remote, remove the control cables from the remote, remove the remote handle, and then separate the two remote halves to get to the wiring. It's not too difficult.
    When putting everything back together put the lever in gear (not neutral position) then put the halves together. If not, then you run the risk of breaking the neutral safety switch (its plastic). If you break it, you can’t start the engine. It happened to me. I by-passed the switch so I could still use the boat until I ordered the replacement for this site. By-passing the switch is dangerous since he motor can be started in gear.

I suggest you print out the exploded diagram of the 703 remote to have for reference when putting everything back together.

You can get the diagram here:
    Yamaha Outboard Parts 2004 Z150TXRC REMOTE CONTROL ASSY 1 Diagram

Comment

Thanks for the reply...

Comment

got the switch replaced, it was really simple. I only had to remove the lower plate on the back of the remote(Throttle/Shift) cable access cover and the shift lever. I was able to disconnect the T/T wires and reconnect the new ones from there..... 15 minute job

Comment

Originally posted by mnjettr View Post
          got the switch replaced, it was really simple. I only had to remove the lower plate on the back of the remote(Throttle/Shift) cable access cover and the shift lever. I was able to disconnect the T/T wires and reconnect the new ones from there..... 15 minute job
          I hope you soaked everything with crc or something simular before it all went back together and put grease on the threads for all the bolts !!

Comment

Originally posted by pitahui View Post
            I had to do mine a year ago. You will need to remove the remote, remove the control cables from the remote, remove the remote handle, and then separate the two remote halves to get to the wiring. It's not too difficult.
            When putting everything back together put the lever in gear (not neutral position) then put the halves together. If not, then you run the risk of breaking the neutral safety switch (its plastic). If you break it, you can’t start the engine. It happened to me. I by-passed the switch so I could still use the boat until I ordered the replacement for this site. By-passing the switch is dangerous since he motor can be started in gear.

I suggest you print out the exploded diagram of the 703 remote to have for reference when putting everything back together.

Hi pitahui, great link to the diagram. Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I am having problems with the ignition key on the 703 remote. The key just spins around in the barrel - the ignition electrics come on when the key is turned, but does not go the extra stage to fire the engine. I've ordered a replacement switch, but it is getting increasingly difficult to start the engine. You mentioned bypassing the switch - I've taken the cover off the remote and notice the 4 wires coming from the remote. Can the switch be bypassed by shorting out the wires? At the moment, IF the engine fires, we cannot switch it off when fishing, just in case it won't start again!

The engine is a 130 BETO.

Many thanks,

John

Comment

Hi John,

Sorry took so long to reply. I am not always on the forum.

If you’re using the 703 remote, then the black & white wires (out of the back of the switch) should be connected to the yellow & red wires. The brown wire engages the starter.

Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem with my key switch. I tightened the plastic nut on the key switch (that mounts it to the remote) to tightly and broke the switch. Then it would just turn and not start.

Comment

Mnjettr,

Instead of greasing the bolts/screws on your engines etc (especially if you boat in saltwater) use this. You won’t be disappointed.

The best thing I have found to use on all the screws and bolts on my engines is Great White® Pipe Joint Compound with PTFE (Teflon). I get it at home depot in the plumbing section. The sealer is inexpensive, easy to get, and never hardens. The Teflon helps prevent the stainless screws/bolts from galling the aluminum engine parts.
                I run exclusively in salt water and have been using this stuff for almost 10 years. I have never had a problem removing any screws/bolts since.

info:
                [url=http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/90/Great+White%c2%ae+Pipe+Joint+Compound+with+PTFE.ht ml]
                Last edited by pitahui; 07-17-2010, 11:52 PM.

Comment

No problem pitahui, appreciate you taking the time to reply. A new switch has been ordered and hopefully normal service will be resumed!

Best wishes,
                  John

Comment

May have broke mine.

Originally posted by pitahui View Post

What are the symptoms of that part breaking? I herd a pop when I was putting the arm back on and a little piece of black plastic fell out. Now ignition switch only turns the tach on. The motor doesn't turn over.

Comment

Working...
                    X