Engine stalls when left at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine stalls when left at idle

I have a 2003 225 4 stroke which has always run fine and started the season with 470 hours. This year after about 5 hours of use the engine would stall if left at idle for a few minutes. If I re-primed the engine it would start again and run fine. I changed the external gas filter and there was a small amt of water in the filter gas but the engine continued to stall if left at idle. The primer bulb wold be soft and if squeezed the engine would then run at higher speeds but continue to stall if left idling for more than few minutes. The marina then changed the high and low fuel pumps the boat continues to run fine at high speeds but still stalls after a few minutes at idle. I again changed the external fuel filter and there was no water in the filter. The priming bulb will take 15 to 29 squeezes to to get firm, could the priming bulb be the cause of the low RPM stalling? what should I do next?

i feel your pain, i have the same engine roughly the same hours on mine with the same issue. The engine runs great at speed but will stall at idle. I have changed my fuel lines from the tank, added a fuel water separator and finally changed the primer bulb. Since the change of the bulb, it fills up in three to four pumps. I havent been out yet since the change of the primer bulb and I am hoping its not the pumps.

Comment

Same here brother. Never had a problem until monday when i went fishing. Let us know if you fixed the problem. Taking her out tomorrow and we will see how she runs.

Comment

Have you checked the fuel pressures and cleaned the internal screens and filters. could be a restriction in lines or sucking air also

Comment

Ran her Sunday with the family. she ran great and did not stall at all. I changed all fuel lines and filters along with the primer. I am taking her out tomorrow and we will see what happens. Good luck with yours...

Comment

I went out saturday for a test run. made it in fine but it stalled on me on two occasions during the day . I have changed the fuel line filters and primer bulb, everything except the line that runs directly to the onboard fuel filter. I am going to get the fuel pressure checked next to see what that says.

Comment

Working...
            X