New to Forum Lots Of Questions ?70ETLG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forum Lots Of Questions ?70ETLG

I recently purchased a 88 or 89 70ETLG. Its on a 1978 Mako. I know its very under powered but I dont need to go fast. Engine seems to run very good with good compression (140, 136, and 132). The water pump and thermastat have been recently replaced 8/09 and the carburetors have been rebuilt.

Here are a few questions I have so far.

Can anyone tell me the year? Here is the number 6H3 L 465611.

I have analog gauges and it seems that this was not the original engine because some of the wires don't match up. The tilt sending unit has three wires and the tilt gauge has four. I hooked up the three that match and the gauge works but not properly. Do I need to buy a new gauge or sending unit?

It seems that my RPM gauge is not working either. It only goes to about 2000rpms. Is there something I can do to change a setting to get it to matchup to the different engine? I think the original engine was a 125 or 150.

My temp gauge was not not hooked up. There is one blue and one black wire that have been cut off under the gauge. I looked for a sending unit on the block but couldnt find it.

Is the pitot tube worth fixing? Seems pretty straight forward but not sure if I want to drop the lower to hook up a hose. The hose was cutoff and pushed down into a hole in the lower unit.

If the gauge control wires are cut and then spliced will this change the resistance and change how the gauges work?

I have the original paperwork from when the boat was purchased. It contains the wiring diagram for a larger Yamaha. I've been using this until I get my manuel for the 70 in the mail. So far most of the colors and wires have matched up minus the ones described above.

Butch

BTT

Any help is appreciated

Comment

Working...
    X