30 hp yamaha lower unit help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 hp yamaha lower unit help needed

Problems started with water in the lower unit over winter. No visible cracks in the housing. Originally took engine to friend to fix, and the lower unit came back in pieces.

Replaced a damaged external nut on the exhaust housing. Removed the shift shaft when the lower unit was removed. After fixing nut and seal, reinstalled the shift rod and can feel all gears as the indents move up and down manually. The prop will not lock up in forward (up on shift rod) or reverse (down on shift rod), so it seems that the gears are not meshing together properly. The prop turns freely like it is in neutral while in all gears.

Do I need to remove the prop shaft to reposition the shift pin, or is there any way to make adjustments without removing prop shaft. Still have not reinsalled the lower unit onto the powerhead because I figured there is no point if I have no apparant gears.

Is there any chance in fixing my current lower unit? Priced a new lower unit but dealer wants more than the engine is worth in working order. Any help will be appreciated.

If shift cam fell out of place then remove shift shaft and look through hole and see if can find it, if not then would have disassemble gearcase to get back into position.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

sorry, but not sure what you mean y "shift cam". Thanks for your help.

Comment

The part in gearcase that shift shaft goes into that shifts it.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The shift cam was still connected to the shift rod when I reinstalled it. I believe that this is what you mean. Is it possible for the shift plunger to jump out of position?

Comment

Working...
          X