97 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke high thrust and 703 controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke high thrust and 703 controls

I connected the harness from the controls to the motor and I've got nothing ( won't start or show any sign of working.) I went through the wiring on the motor and everything checks out. I have only seen the motor started up with the controls bypassed and the solenoid jumped with a screwdriver. I have battery voltage to the solenoid and to the controls. And I tested the overheat audible alarm and it worked so I know the controls are functioning somewhat. I don't hear any clicking or anything when I turn the key and when I try jumping the solenoid, I doesn't work, I checked and it is in neutral. All the wiring is intact, the fuse on the red wire in the motor was blown, I replaced it and still nothing. I'm wondering if the guy forgot to put any of the wires back after he bypased it it to get it started..'
    Possibly preventing the starter from engaging.

Anything I'm forgetting? Could you tell me how to bypass the controls to test the motor again? Maybe if I know how to do that I can find something he did wrong.... Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Nick

If he was starting it from stater solenoid then the brown wire on solenoid may be unplugged.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The brown wire is connected

Comment

Snyc,
        Had the same problems with my 2006 F25hp last year.
        I bought this motor used so the #703 controls came with it.
        So when i installed the motor on my boat i had to disconnect the shift & throttle cables. When i re-installed them and then fired up the motor I got nothing. At that point a friend of my helped me re-set the cables and it fired up but he said you got to ck out that neutral switch so its right in a little grove, well one year later and i have'nt had problems with it starting.
        Don't know if this will help you out. Gd luck

Comment

I actually never connected the trottle or shift cables... I only connected the wiring harness. Would that prevent the starter from engaging? I didn't think it would... And I checked the continuity of the neutral safety (inside the control box) switch and it all checked out...
          Thanks alot for the info!
          Last edited by sync; 05-30-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X