Overheating 50hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating 50hp 2 stroke

My father's boat has a 2005 50hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Boat/motor were purchased new, never a problem. Boat was used in brackish water. Waterpump was changed over the winter. As part of dewinterizing, engine was run (well) in a filled barrel, not on muffs. The engine was run in neutral and in gear at idle speed, strong stream out of the telltale while running in the barrel. Engine was run for about 15 minutes, without issue. Sold the boat last Friday, new owner doesn't know alot about boats. Speak with him this morning, the low oil/ overheat alarm is going off. The oil resevoir is full. When he starts motor up the telltale is strong, but after about 2 minutes at idle the alarm sounds. He has stopped alarm by turning off engine or by putting motor in gear at low speed, which silences the alarm after 20 seconds or so, with the engine vibrating while in gear. Telltale water gets very hot, but stream is steady. New owner claims he hasn't picked up any sand or debris in motor. Boat ran fine last weekend for new owner, then the issue occurred. Any ideas other than going to a mechanic? Maybe sand clogging up the thermostat? Is there a poppit valve on this motor? Boat is several hours away or I would take a look at motor. With Memorial Day weekend here, he wants to use the boat but mechanics are a bit busy. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks, Bob

Sounds like engine could have a restriction in the exhaust. When water pump was replaced was it intact? I had one where a piece of the impeller was hung up in the exhaust / water cover on the side of the head, it would pee a strong hot stream of water out the telltale as well.....would not run hot until under load...

Comment

Mack, Thanks for your suggestion. The old pump impellar was intact when removed. After I posted my question on Friday, I had additional phone conversations with the new owner, and additional details emerged. He apparently started the motor with it tilted up.... Thanks again for your help. Bob

Comment

Working...
      X