F115 gear case rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 gear case rattle

I have tried to find an answer to this, and have gone to two different dealers, no one can seem to give me a straight answer.

I have an F115 with stainless steel prop. Approx 200 hours on engine. This spring I replaced the water pump impeller and bought a new 13.25x17 stainless prop.

Since then my motor has developed a rattle or chatter in the lower unit at idle in gear. This happens in both forward and reverse. In neutral at idle it is quiet. It is not a grinding sound going into gear, rather it is a semi-constant rattle sound from the lower unit while in gear.

I have checked the shift linkage and all is fine.

I have been told by some this is normal on Mercs and Yamahas with stainless props.

I have checked the gear oil after 30 hours and no signs of abnormal wear.

Is this a normal or common sound? Any way to stop it short of replacing the lower unit? It is really annoying to me.

have you verified that all of the prop washers were properly seated before you torqued down the prop nut (you did torque the prop nut, right?) ?
    it sounds like your prop might be loose or improperly seated .

Comment

Yeah, I have removed the prop and put it back on. I have also removed the lower unit again to make sure the wave washers, etc were reinstalled correctly.

I have even tried different ss props. Only thing that makes the noise go away is to remove the prop completely.

This thing has me stumped.

Comment

did it do it last season before winterizing ??

Comment

I don't remember it doing it, I don't fully winterize, just change the fluids in fall and spring, use the boat year round.

My brother thinks I'm crazy, he hears it but doesn't think it is abnormal...he thinks I just notice it now b/c I am worried I screwed something up during the impeller change.

Maybe so, but at the same time I wouldn't think the gears should rattle or really make any noise. Fathers 90 honda doesn't do it at idle.

Comment

other than retracing & doublechecking your steps,i'm stumped also. hopefully, one of our fellow members has the answer......

Comment

Working...
            X