96 P60 Hard Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 P60 Hard Start

Hello, I just bought a P60 and it’s hard to start and runs poorly until warmed up. Once warm it’s great.

Starting procedure is motor down, primer bulb hard, at idle, turn the key.

Thing I know are the carbs are clean, I’ve cleaned the circuits in the enrichment solenoid, changed the diaphragm, gaskets, new primer bulb and lines

Things I have confirmed:
    1) no fuel comes thru the grey line connected to the intake manifold when the red lever is in the normal position.
    2) fuel pulsates thru the grey line when the lever is in the open position.
    3) no fuel in the closed position.
    4) the needle extends when 12 volts is attached to it.
    5) by measuring it seems the needle has already closed off the circuit when the solenoid is cold. Even when put in the freezer it is still closes the circuit.
    6) linkages etc are adjusted as close to the service manual as I can get them.

Questions:
    1) I should be getting fuel thru the grey line when the lever is in the normal position and the motor is cold right?
    2) The body of the solenoid/valve is a threaded 2 piece construction. Are these threads for adjusting the height of the needle?

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Mike

If engine starts ok with manual choke then probably need to replace primer solenoid. There is no adjustment for it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I had a new one in my hand and at room temperature they were both the exact same length. The same goes for the length after 12 volts was supplied. I seen no reason to install it so I returned it.

I couldn't see both of them being bad.

Anyone have one they could measure for me?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X