Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SX250 02 sensors test

Charter fishing on Lake Michigan
    There has to be a better way to test the 02 sensor after cleaning then the torch test – is there anyway to send a unit back in have it rebuilt – at 270 dollars replacement is costly reinstalling the old unit only to find it will not perform correctly makes for labor & gaskets wasted. I ***** close to idling speed for 5 hours and the have about a 20 minute run back in to port - the water in spring is usually below 50 degrees – I do use ring free – the fuel has lots of additives – I remove and clean the sensor each year, and if it not working will spend the money for new ones but hate to do the work twice but not as much as buying two new sensors each year

http://www.boatsetup.com/O2sensor.pdf

Comment

I found this info awhile back.

Hope it helps.

I found a Bosch 15703 fit. I had to cut and solder the wires to fit the plugs but after that it worked just fine. the price was 59 usd plus tax.
      I have not water tested it yet. I will install tonight and test on the hose. I will water test this weekend.
      I was like you not wanting to pay 275 bucks for an O2 sensor.
      Every O2 sensor does the same thing with the same voltage output. There are Wide band O2s out there now that give better readings. This Yamaha O2 sensor is a "Narrow" band one which is typical in the Auto world. The Wide Band is new.

Comment

Thanks, for the help
        I am not sure if I want to try something like that - maybe when the motors get a little older
        Bill

Comment

BBC Boards: OX66 O2 sensor check...by Greg Hind

DO NOT DO THE TORCH TEST !!!

Comment

Well you can certainly test the sensor but if bad I would certainly go the bosch route. $59.00 bucks each is certainly more reasonable that the 2 and change for the yamaha one. I am a big fan of using OEM parts myself but sometimes (like a case like this) cross referencing the part to a less expensive alternative is a better choice than trying to torch it or soak it overnight. Make sure to clean out the breather tube too. (When you take off the assembly, you'll see it) That little sucker can quickily fill up with oil/carbon residue and clog things up.

Tom

Originally posted by Captain Bill View Post
            Thanks, for the help
            I am not sure if I want to try something like that - maybe when the motors get a little older
            Bill

Comment

Thanks
              For the help will hook up my millimeter and see what I get – I am pretty sure both o2 sensors are bad as the smoke makes for sick fishing customers if there is not a breeze. I am also going to try and buy a Bosch 15703 and install that in one engine and run a new o2 in the other will see how they look this fall

Comment

Working...
              X