F 225 timing belt issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F 225 timing belt issues

Having an odd problem with wearing on my timing belt...
    The groves are fine, and the timing marks all line up ( crank & cam gears) but the belt is wearing a lot in it's height. I lost over 1/4 " since I last changed it (1000 hrs- 10 months ago)
    The belt also rides very high above the top of the cam gears (3/8") or so and prob on the crank drive as well...hard against the top retainer under the flywheel.
    The adjuster seems somewhat weak (spring?) but keeps enough tension when engine is running although the belt is slack on the left side between the cam gear and drive gear (return side).
    The roller on the tensioner wobbles slightly even the bolt is torqued down, but we fabricated a shim to put under the tensioner and it removed the wobble. I think the wobble pushed the belt upwards causing the wear, but a new tensioner would not correct the seating problem, could the threaded hole the tensioner bolt goes into be machined improperly?
    There is some wear on only 1/3 of the underside of the tensioner prob as a result of 'rocking', something's out of whack.
    Any ideas???
    Thanks

There shouldn't be any wobble in tensioner and shouldn't be able to move back and forth any at all with belt removed without slowly putting pressure on allen wrench in allen head slot on tensioner pulley to compress it, if so then tensioner needs to be replaced.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X