Wiring a tilt/trim gauge on a F200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a tilt/trim gauge on a F200

I’m trying to wire a tilt/trim gauge for a 2005 Yamaha F200TZR outboard. I’ve found what I think is the harness, but I can’t make sense of the connections. I found a connector in the motor that has connections in it that are a combination of pink, pink with white tracer and pink with black tracer. That connector is connected to a harness that has pink, grey, orange and black. The end of the harness where the instruments connect has the same four colors; pink, grey, orange and black. The pink and grey pair are connected to the oil and temperature warning lights that are in the tach. Nothing is connected to the black and orange pair. The tilt/trim gauge that I'm trying to connect has three connections; one labeled “+” with a yellow wire, one labeled “-“ with a pink wire and the third, labeled “U” with a black wire. The pink and black wires go into a connector that is identical to the one coming from the motor, the yellow is stand alone. As I said, the connector on the gauge is identical to the instrument end of the connector coming from the motor; even the same gender, so it doesn’t mate with the connector from the gauge. But, that’s just the beginning of my confusion. I thought the pink wire was the signal from the tilt/trim sender, so why would it be in use for one of the warning lights? I’ve never had the occasion for the warning lights to come on, so I’ll leave open the possibility that that’s not correctly wired. Also, the pink wire on the gauge goes to the terminal labeled “-“ so that doesn’t sound right. I’m wondering if:

A: I have the wrong gauge
    B: The gauge is wired wrong
    C: I’m looking at the wrong harness coming from the motor
    D: All of the above

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’ve searched high and low for a comprehensive wiring schematic, but with no luck.

What gauges do you have, are they Yamaha or aftermarket, are they all analog, do you have part numbers that was on box? Do you already have the gauge harness between engine and gauges?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      What gauges do you have, are they Yamaha or aftermarket, are they all analog, do you have part numbers that was on box? Do you already have the gauge harness between engine and gauges?
      They are all Yamaha analog gauges. The gauges and harness were installed by the dealer when the motor was installed, so yes the harness between the engine and gauges is already in place. I don't have the box from the gauge and there's no part number on the gauge itself. Here's a picture of the back of the gauge in case that helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

If they are the new style gauges then the harness from engine with off colored square connector connects to tach with matching connector, then connect the pink wire(with bullet connector on it)from trim gauge to pink wire(with bullet connector on it) on tach. Then connect the yellow, blacks, blues and green wires from gauges to matching colors on harness that goes to ignition switch.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

***! That doesn't describe my wiring. In fact, other than the warning lights, the connector I've found doesn't make any of the connections to the tach.

I've attached a diagram showing what I have. I have a square white plastic connector under the cowl, coming from the motor that has a combination of pink, pink with black tracer and pink with white tracer. It connects (under the cowl) to another connector that has Orange, Pink, Grey and Black. That heads to the dash and has indicator lights that are in the tach connected to the pink and black leads. The tach has green yellow and black wires going in to it, but they appear to be going to the round black 9 pin connector. I think I might be back to square 1. Am I possibly looking at the wrong pink wire?
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X