Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002 F2125 txra fuel issue, again..NEED IDEAS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 F2125 txra fuel issue, again..NEED IDEAS!!!!

My 225 yammy 4 stroke with 600 hrs. on it ran great in the fall before being winterized. I winterized fuel with stabil then fogged motor. Did the spring tune up- New plugs, oil, fuel filter, new oil, new water pump, lower end gear oil. I put in water, boat ran great at low rpms up to 4500. Would almost come up on plane, then bog down and pop. I immediately thought ethanol. I went and hooked up external tank,fresh gas, cleaned fuel filter, bypassed water sep filter. put on new primer bulb, same issue. I took off airbox, sprayed some varnish out of carbs. Took off drain screw out of the bottom of fuel reservoir, blew it out. Same issue. Then I totally bypassed fuel filter,& water sep filter on my external tank with clean, fresh gas to try to eliminate as much as I can. Took for a quick ride, boat did better at 9000 rpm's, but still not perfect, then would bog. I then put system back together, with water sep filter, yam fuel fuel filter. Same issue, bogging at 4500 rpms. Last year I replaced low pressure fuel pump($800 from dealer). I can hear this pump working, and see it drawing fuel into filter. I think this is not the issue. Possibly the high pressure fuel pump? Gunky injectors? I am running the Startron thru it now. I have yet to check spark plugs, will check but boat runs perfect at low rpms, no stuttering at all. I think not electric or sensor because no buzzers go off. Primer bulb does get hard, and under way stays almost hard. I am scratching my head, looking at the manual. The Striper run is just about to hit my area (Portchester) in full force, need to solve this issue. I appreciate any possible ideas.........

Need to run fuel pressure test. Probably need to remove and clean vapor separator tank.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

clean the filter in the vapour tank on bottom of fuel pump

Comment

starved for fuel, several possible causes

I have had the exact same problem with my twin 2004 F225's. The root cause is the switch from MTBE gas to Ethanol blends. Ethanol is a great solvent and removes the years of varnish build up from MTBE gas and wreaks havoc on all filters in your fuel system. In order of flow (as well as difficulty in access and cleaning) you have your spin on filter, then the under the hood clear bowl filter, then the horseshoe filter, then the filter screen on high pressure pump inlet, and finally each injector has a filter basket on their inlet. Thats 5 filters in line! I have had to clean or replace ALL of them, some several times. I have also had to polish my fuel tanks.

For injector service, see here:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...d-th12763.html

I reccommend cleaning/replacing ALL filters AND polishing your fuel tank. If you do NOT polish your fuel tank in conjunction with filter cleaning/replacement you may find yourself back where you started. Given how expensive and time consuming it is to get at and clean/replace some of the filters its well worth the effort to polish the fuel tanks.
        Chris
        2004 GW 330 Express w/ Twin F225's

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I am going to clean the screen in the bottom of the vapor sep tank first, then change the horseshoe filter and the filter on the bottom of the injector fuel pump.Hopefully this will get me cruisin. I do not need to polish my tank, last year I cut my deck out and replaced my pitted aluminum tank with a brand new poly one.
          I will update my post with results. Once again, thanks everyone....

Comment

Originally posted by reelchef View Post
            Thanks everyone for all of your input. I am going to clean the screen in the bottom of the vapor sep tank first, then change the horseshoe filter and the filter on the bottom of the injector fuel pump.Hopefully this will get me cruisin. I do not need to polish my tank, last year I cut my deck out and replaced my pitted aluminum tank with a brand new poly one.
            I will update my post with results. Once again, thanks everyone....
            Hope that does it for you. Sounds like you are dealing with the after affects of your old aluminum tank + the switch to E10 gas. There is a good chance if those are clogged you'll have to do the basket filters on the injectors as well. Also, I have not heard of a screen in the bottom of the VST tank. Just a screen on the high pressure pump inlet (which is inside the VST tank) and the horseshoe filter. Ultrasonic cleaners work great and can clean filters that you might otherwise be forced to replace.
            Chris
            2004 GW 330 Express w/ Twin F225's

Comment

HighPressure fuel pump screen

I had the same problem with 2003 F200 with 173 hours. It was the high pressure fuel pump screen. It's amazing that the screen is only about 1 square cm in diameter and feeds an engine of this size. I had a kind of lacquer on the inside of the vst including the screen. Cleaned easily with an old can of gumout as the solvent. I replaced the screen anyways.

Comment

Power loss, again...

Well, I cleaned my VST screen, changed horseshoe filter and fuel filter. Ran great . Got a solid 2 months out of her before same issue. Changed plugs. all new filters,sep filter, cleaned VST screen. Took it for the trial run, negative. Boat comes out of hole, planes at 82 rpms, then falls back to 65- 70 rpms. squeezing priming bulb under way does nothing, remains hard. Boat does not react, means my fuel feeder pump is OK. It sounds like she is starving for fuel-I will check my injector screens. If that doesn't fix, I will purchase High pressure fuel pump from the VST. $300 or so thru dealer. Oh yea, plugs look a little white- means running lean.....FYI I have 650 hrs on motor. Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                X