linkage adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linkage adjustment

on my 1989 pro V 150, it won't shift into reverse sometimes and have no more room for adjustment on my shift bracket in reverse........do I have to drop the lower unit to move a tooth on the spline and then adjust the cable or is there another way to make adjustments???

Edit: I just replaced the prop shaft before original posting and have about .040 end play measure between the prop and the housing. There are 5 shims behind the bearing carrier.....would removing a couple of them help ???
    Last edited by renegade8379; 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM.

Recheck shift shaft alignment, drop lower unit and set both lower unit and shift linkage on engine in neutral and reinstall lower unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I am sure both were in nuetral when I reconnected the lower unit. I just checked the room I had for adjustment tonight and noticed that where the shift rod comes through to the motor there isn't any bushing....just a larger opening. I'm guessing a previous owner must have worked on it and neglected to reinstall a bushing or grommet there. Does anyone know what part and part number is for the grommet or bushing that centers the shift rod where it comes through the bottom cowling??? I'm describing this as accurately as I can, but am not very familiar with the terminology. I'm guessing that the anchor point at that location is affecting how far the shift rod turns and at times it's not enough to get into reverse cleanly. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: With a little better lighting, I looked closer and there is a grommet in that opening, but there's almost as much play as the diameter of the shift rod......is there a bushing that's suppose to fit over the shift rod and in that grommet???
      Last edited by renegade8379; 05-13-2010, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Number 57 is the only bushing on shift shaft Yamaha Outboard Parts 1989 PROV150LF CONTROL ENGINE Diagram
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

not saying u did , but if u happened to put the shift cam in upside down it could cause what ur saying is happening . It would put u one gear tooth out.

Comment

Working...
          X