Yamaha 50 hp hard to steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 50 hp hard to steer

I have a 50 hp mounted to a boston whaler that has gradually become very difficult to steer. I have looked in the manual and there are only two grease fittings listed. I greased them and nothing improved. Is there something I should try to lubricate? I disconnected the steering cable to see if that was sticking but it was smooth. It feels like it sticks and then moves only to stick again when you stop turning. Any ideas?

Remove the steering from engine and clean the engine tilt tube, may need to be reamed out if it's not to bad you can clean up with a long round file. Use plenty of grease with reassemble.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks for the reply, boats.net. I"m not sure what an engine tilt tube is but I believe that is the horizontal tube section where the motor tilts up and down. That is where the two grease fittings are located which I did regrease to no avail. The problem is turning the engine left and right. It's a 1987 Yamaha. I guess I was hoping that there was an internal fitting to grease somewhere. thanks for your help
      John

Comment

Working...
      X