New F20MLH Hard to Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New F20MLH Hard to Start

I purchased a brand new F20 manual start about a month ago. It may have 8 hrs on it. I read the manual, use only non-ethanol gas, store my boat on a trailer, covered. I have owned lots of boats and lots of Yamahas, both 2 and 4 stroke. NEVER in all the engines I have owned of every make, have I had one as hard to start as this one. I guarantee the British Seagull I have in my basement that hasn't been run for 10 years would start quicker than this Yammy.

There is no choke (EPA?) as there is some half arsed electrical/mechanical auto choke.

I have to two hand yank this thing at least 10-12 times before it will start, and then yank it 2 or 3 times when it quits 2 or 3 times. Once running and warmed up, (I guess) it will start on the 1st or 2nd pull for the rest of the day and except at idle, run smooth.

I am taking it to a dealer on Monday for an early 20hr service (oh, brother) but wanted to see if anyone had any idea what is going on, is this common, is there a fix, will it get better over time, or should I start figuring out how to dump it an buy a Honda?, ect. I tried the search function to no avail.

Anyway, very nice site, thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.
    jim, aka ManuelF20

Tell the dealer about it so they can check the choke system, it helps if motor is tilted as far down as possible, pump bulb up tight and don't give it any throttle when cold starting until it starts up, other than that they need to check choke system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

What does your owners manual tell you to so as far as starting procedure?
      Do you follow this procedure letter by letter?

This motor may have the Prime Start System on it instead of a choke.
      I am not sure on the manual start motors but the electric start procedure says not to lift the fast idle lever at all. Just pump up primer bulb until firm and turn the key to start. If you lift the idle lever it will cancel the prime start. The red lever should be in the normal position if it has one.
      Last edited by 99yam40; 04-30-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        What does your owners manual tell you to so as far as starting procedure?
        Do you follow this procedure letter by letter?
        I follow the manual by the letter on each of the 10-12 pulls it takes me to get this thing to burp. Then it starts and quits at least 2-3 times before it runs.

Thirty + years ago I was introduced to specific starting procedures when I owned my first British SeaGull. On that one, if you fail to follow, it never starts, follow and it is 2 pulls max.......forever.

I have had manual start Mercury, Nissan, Johnson, Evinrude, Seagull, Sears, most of them used, some new. This is my 6th Yamaha.

It is hard to start from the Factory, I am hoping for a solution, I like to enjoy my boating.

Comment

Working...
        X