F225 woodruff key problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 woodruff key problems

While attempting to replace the waterpump in my f225 I found the woodruff key was frozen to the driveshaft. I've tried a awl for hours and can't seem to budge it. I would like to try some heat but am afraid of doing damage to the rubber seal beneath the key on the shaft. Does anyone have any tips to remove this stubborn thing

I did my water pump yesterday on my 250 and had the same problem. After breaking 2 screwdrivers and an awl, I resorted to drilling it out. I "carefully" drilled 4 holes starting each hole with a 1/16" bit and gradually increased until finishing with an 1/8". Afterwards I beat on it with a dull chisel until all the pieces finally gave way. It took almost 2 hours to get the woodruff key out, and less than an hour to change the pump. I feel your pain!

Comment

when you put new key in put a smidge of grease on the sucker for next time

Comment

My new F250 is the same way. I don't think it is so much that they seized in place from corrosion. It is a very tight fit.

I got some course emery and sanded down the sides to loosen up the new one and put a round edge to help with the installation and still it was hard to get new one in.

Comment

I was finally able to remove it by spraying it for a day with PB Blaster then I used a chisel and was able to remove it. The pump was supposedly replaced by the dealer a couple of years ago. When I removed the housing I discovered the shaft seals were shot and were leaking water into the lower unit (wtf). It appears that the dealer only replaced the impeller and nothing else as the housing and orings still had the glue from the factory on them. From now on I will remove everything once a year just to check things out. Thanks for all the tips

Comment

Same issue for me. I used PB Blaster (Or any like quality fulid). Put a separator disc on my dremel and cut the key down the center as deep as I could. I actually gave it a few cuts. It finally broke and chipped out easily with a chisel. I thought it was shot. What a relief when it popped out. This will require some patients. Good luck.
            Last edited by eddie m; 04-29-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X