Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 150 VMAX Flooding

2 problems hopefully related.

1. Motor started surging over 4000 rpm the other day. Runs smooth below that.

Checked the plugs when I came in, noticed mid and lower on the port side wet so I changed hoping for easy fix.

2. The next day noticed that the bulb would not get hard when pumping. Ran the same as the day before but used an excessive ammount of gas. Probably double of what I should have used.

Pumped the bulb good today in the driveway expecting one of the carbs to leak. I didn't notice anything until I stepped away and saw gas dripping from the hub.

Pulled the carbs and checked floats. No visible damage. While holding them upside down and blowing into the inlet they were sealing well and opening while upright.

Put everything back together and saw no difference.

Any ideas short of taking to the pros?

replace fuel pumps

Comment

this will make it use less fuel????

Comment

Check the diaphragm on the fuel pump to do this undo from motor and pump bulb see if the diaphragm has a hole in it . pump has 4 bolts in it 2 to hold pump together 2 to hold it on the motor only take the 2 holding it on to the motor out.

letting fuel into crank case .

yes it will stop it using to much fuel.

Comment

Couldn't wait for the sun to come up this morning to check it out. Made a lot of sense last night since these are the 2 cylinders that had the wet plugs.

Sure enough, the mylar membrane on the top one is torn. I didn't even check the bottom yet since I intend on replacing it as well.

Thanks, I'll give an update after I get her on the water.

Comment

Awesome! took a while to get my hands on the new pumps, nobody stocks parts for them due to the cost. $125 later, all is well. Dunked her in the bayou and took a quick spin.

Evidently this has been going on for a while, just not as bad. the motor runs better than I have seen in a long time. I had to adjust the idle down. It was running about 1500 when I first fired it up.

I also found out that an old high school buddy runs the service center down the road! He was suprised I had 1,000 hrs on these pumps. He told me the normal life cycle is between 300 - 500 hrs.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X