88 excel won't pump water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 excel won't pump water

Hi - My mechanic and I are trying to figure out why this engine won't pump water.

88 Excell - 2.6 lt

Last fall it was running fine when taking the boat out for the final spin of the year.
    Brought the boat back to the house to fog etc, I noticed that the pee hole stream was weak. Decided it was time for a new impeller, so I fogged etc.
    I've since replaced the impeller and still no pumping. The water I get is from the pressure of the hose on the muffs and is minimal - but it does come through. When it is in the lake it runs, but no water.
    The mechanic has now replaced the whole pump, blown air and water directly into the pipe in the midsection and still no water pumping when put into action.

Anybody have any ideas how the water from a hose can make it through but not the water from a new pump assembly?

Were thinking that the next step is to pull the power head to see if something is blocked in there.

I'd rather not do that if at all possible

Thank you

Tom

Have you pulled the PRV and thermostats and checked them and the condition of the water passages?
    Things maybe full of corrosion or salt build up.
    If the PRV is stuck open it could be dumping too much water at low RPM

Comment

Hi thx for the response

We pulled the stats and tested. they checkout for proper release temp.
      New gaskets if course.

My mechanic says there is no water getting up to the stats - even on the hose, with a small amount of water coming out the the pee hole. (its at the bottom of the p-head)

Not sure what the PRV is?

Comment

pressure relief valve

Comment

Right - I looked that part up - I see where it is.

I did take the hose off earlier and it was dry inside. Is that correct?

What does the PRV do?

Could it effect the flow?

Tom

Comment

i would first be questioning your mechanics ability to install a pump if he didnt know about the PRV

Comment

actually - I called him and he'd already checked it. It was me that didn't know.
              I do now.

Thanks guys

If you think of any thing else......

Tom

Comment

did you drop the L/U, and hook up the hose as suggested on THT ?

Comment

water pipe from pump to power unit is that ok ? might be rotted out

Comment

thx Guys - hi pressure hose hooked to the mid seems to have flushed out whatever crap was in there. All is good now.

I appreciate the help

cheers

Tom!

Comment

Working...
                    X